From: "Lois Wakeman" <lois@lois.co.uk>
To: "WAI list" <w3c-wai-ig@w3.org>
Sent: Thursday, February 17, 2005 11:06 AM
Subject: RE: Copywriting for Screenreaders (was Alt text for URL's)

David,
> First, we ask the company not to want so much but to allow best
> practices to be the guide.
A laudable aim, which I have tried many times to fulfil, with more, or often
less, success. But anyone who's designing web sites commercially can only
suggest, not dictate, and in my experience, many project sponsors are far
more motivated by what *they* see (however misguidedly) as good design
rather than proper semantic structure and good accessibility. All the
designer can do is fiddle around behind the scenes to mitigate their poor
decisions with best practice (as far as is possible without losing the
contract) and hacks.
Lois Wakeman
http://communicationarts.co.uk
http://lois.co.uk