RE: Copywriting for Screenreaders (was Alt text for URL's)

> From: david poehlman

> David is right.  The intent of this link is specifically
> targeted and need
> not be if the sites are marked up with structure in mind.
> Navigation is
> important and part of navigation is to be able to move through a site
> efficiently.  As I see it, a table of contents is just about
> the only way to
> allow for moving through a page efficiently with a little
> added help from
> other internal sources such as the ability to go back to the
> top of a page,
> to go to the navigation aides for the site if need be to go
> to the various
> parts of the page if there are sections of interest.

The main problem, of course, is that page elements which are universal
to a site (e.g. main navigation) are not strictly part of the current
page's content, in most cases.
In this regard, I don't see how links that jump straight to the
page's main content (past the universal navigation, header, etc which
are more part of the framework, rather than the current document itself)
are any different from "back to top" type links.

Patrick
Patrick H. Lauke
Webmaster / University of Salford
http://www.salford.ac.uk