RE: Skip to links and Breadcrumbs

Phill Jenkins wrote:
I have always consider the breadcrumb as part of the navigation, not the
main content, so I place the anchor after the breadcrumb and before the
heading.

I agree with Phill. I am often confused when the first thing I hear
after following a skip to main content link is JAWS saying "Link [some
link text]." It makes me do a double-take trying to figure out whether I
really have jummped over the navigation.

John

"Good design is accessible design."
John Slatin, Ph.D.
Director, Accessibility Institute
University of Texas at Austin
FAC 248C
1 University Station G9600
Austin, TX 78712
ph 512-495-4288, f 512-495-4524
email jslatin@mail.utexas.edu
web http://www.utexas.edu/research/accessibility/
<http://www.utexas.edu/research/accessibility/>

	I have always consider the breadcrumb as part of the navigation,
not the main content, so I place the anchor after the breadcrumb and
before the heading.

	Regards,
	Phill

Janet Russeau <russeau@misd.k12.mi.us>
Sent by: w3c-wai-ig-request@w3.org

02/14/2005 09:44 AM

w3c-wai-ig@w3.org
cc
Subject
Skip to links and Breadcrumbs

	I have a "skip to main content" link as the first link in my
"tabbed"
	navigation across the top of every page. As part of a site
redesign, I have
	been adding a list of "breadcrumb" links below the "tabbed"
navigation and
	above the heading in the main content section.

	The question is...where should I put the named anchor tag for
the "skip
	to..." link? Do I put it before my breadcrumb list or before my
heading
	tag? If I put it in my breadcrumb list, do I need to add another
"skip
	to..." link that bypasses the breadcrumb and do I need to change
my "skip
	to..." link that I placed in my "tabbed" navigation?

	I want the design of my pages to include mechanisms to aid
accessibility
	without being unnecessarily redundant.

	The following is a link to a test page of my redesign. Please
note that
	most of the links are to actual pages that I'm in the process of
redesigning.

	http://misd.k12.mi.us/portals/sw/bips-fbas.html

	Any input would be greatly appreciated, and please feel free to
email me
	directly and I will summarize for the list if desired.

	Thanks,
	Janet Russeau