From: "Andy Budd" <andy@message.uk.com>
To: "W" <w3c-wai-ig@w3.org>
Sent: Monday, February 14, 2005 4:57 AM
Subject: Copywriting for Screenreaders (was Alt text for URL's)

Thanks everybody for your feedback on my "Alt text for URL's" question.

I found it really interesting that writing out URL's in camel case can
help some screenreaders/speach synthesisers to read individual words.
Depending on versions and user prefs of course.

I also recently learned that  "Skip to content" tends to confuse
screenreaders because of the words duel meaning and it is much better
to write "Skip to main content".

So I was wondering if anybody has written or come across any
"Copywriting guidelines for screeenreaders"? If not, I'd really like to
know any other copywriting tips/recommendations people have. e.g.
Making sure alt text has full stops (periods) at the end of each
sentence.

Something like that could be really useful, especially for the vast
legion of web developers out there who don't have access to their own
copy of JAWS/Window Eyes.

Andy

Andy Budd

http://www.message.uk.com/