Re: accessible banking:

On Tue, 1 Feb 2005, Kelly Pierce wrote:

> oh I see.  Anything that isn't running a free Linux distro is now supposedly
> inaccessible.  I understand and appreciate your open source politics but I

YOU ARE TOTALLY MISUNDERSTANDING WHAT I AM SAYING (do you work for this
band)

> think the notion of accessibility is being used to advance the open source

open source advances on it's own, doesn't need my help

> ideology.  We have already discussed WCAG and ADA compliance and neither of
> them apply here.

BUT! and this is important, REQUIRING a single "proprietary" solution that
is not provided is indeed illegal. and the courts have ruled as such,

it appears the only thing that will convince you is losing a lawsuit.

SEE BELOW AND READ WHAT I ACTUALLY SAID  NOT HOW YOU WANT TO INTERPERT IT

> > On Tue, 1 Feb 2005, Kelly Pierce wrote:
> >
> >> yes, the court ordered the transit system to design an accessible
> >> website.
> >> it didn't order the transit system to give away free screen readers, as
> >> you
> >> suggested.
> >
> > no I never suggested they give away free screen readers, what I said was
> > if they require a specific screen reader or software they have to provide
> > it free.  and accessible website would allow accessible systems to use it.
> >
> > IE cannot not be considered ADA compliant.  they require the purchase of
> > specific software.  proprietary software.  not permitted unless they give
> > you the software.  what is the problem with the W3C/WAI standards.  there
> > needs to be a way to use the system with a text based screen reader.

I'll say it again

THERE NEEDS TO BE A WAY TO USE THE SYSTEM WITH A TEXT BASED SCREEN READER

I don't know what is so hard about that, and contrary to your apparent
belief LYNX is not open source and is (if I am not mistaken) owned and
maintained by the Univ of Kansas. it is however free and works on WINDOWS
as well as other operating systems.

TEXT IS NOT LIMITED TO LINUX, many windows users and mac users also use
text based screen readers.

Bob

CONFIGURE YOUR E-MAIL TO SEND TEXT ONLY, see http://expita.com/nomime.html

safety deserve Neither liberty nor safety",    Benjamin Franklin
    NO HTML/PDF/RTF in e-mail                   accessys@smartnospam.net