Proper font-size calculation with ems (was RE: Image Galleries)

At 02:17 PM 1/5/2005 +0000, Francois Jordaan wrote:

> > > The W3C has specified 16px/96ppi
> >
> > Okay, but 11px/16px is 0.6875 not .76.
> > If B.K. meant 11pt (and not 11px) the base font size should
> > be about 0.92 em.
> >
> > Francois, is .76 fairly arbitrary or did you calculate it
> > somehow?  (If the latter, please provide the math.)
>
>I agree this has become very off-topic, but I'm replying to the list in
>order to correct some errors in my earlier email.
>
>Indeed, .76em normally renders as 12px, and not 11px as I said.

I would love to take all our font sizes in
http://ocw.mit.edu/OcwWeb/style/core.css

and convert them to ems. The problem I run into is inheritance and nesting.
Often times out WYSIWYG editor in our CMS will nest several bodycopy <span>
elements and just make the font size smaller and smaller, were it ems. I'd
love to figure out how to keep that from happening.

Any suggestions?

--
B.K. DeLong
bkdelong@pobox.com

http://bkdelong.mit.edu                       Work.
http://www.brain-stream.com               Play.
http://www.the-leaky-cauldron.org        Potter.
http://www.city-of-doors.com               Sigil.
http://www.hackerfoundation.org          Future.
http://www.osvdb.org/                         Security.
http://www.wkdelong.org           Son.

PGP Fingerprint:
38D4 D4D4 5819 8667 DFD5  A62D AF61 15FF 297D 67FE

FOAF:
http://foaf.brain-stream.org