Re: Access Element is WRONG (was RE: Are we really still talking about Access Keys?)

David Woolley wrote:

>>marketplace.  I need to be able to document what features exist in my
>>application, and how those features are accessed.  My users, some of
>>whom are power users, expect no less.
>>

>What you are describing there is non-Web uses of HTML, i.e. using the
>browser as a thin client for an intranet application.  Is that really
>within the scope of HTML standardisation?  If it is, it is in the
>special context that it is one of very few frequently used applications
>for the users, and you are designing for a specific browser.  Neither
>of these should be considered valid for the public internet, or the
>World Wide Web.
>
>In my experience, such applications are even more likely to be recent version
>IE only than commercial public web applications.

I think you are over generalizing.  It is not a non-Web use of HTML.  It
a Web Application.  Web Applications are, in general, written using
HTML.  If they are written to only work in IE, they are poor
applications indeed.  Open Systems (anyone remember that name?) is about
application portability. Static documents are a simplistic sub-class of
the more general class of content that can and is frequently generated
dynamically on the web.  Think about cnn.com.  Think about nick.com
(Nickelodeon).  These sites are dynamic, content rich HTML.   Some of
the content is static.  Most of it is dynamic.  It involves logging in,
session management, and all the other things that Web Applications need
to manage.  This is not just an Intranet thing.  It *is* the Internet
today.