Re: Link separation (not to be deprecated!!!!)

Vicente Luque Centeno wrote:
> I don't think this checkpoint should be deprecated.
>
> Example:
>
> This example shows the confusion on having no separation between links

> href="http://simple.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fly">fly</a>
>
> ... which leads to Butterfly looking just as a single link in graphical
> browsers.

That's a usability problem, not an accessibility one.

Moreover, the original WCAG 1.0 checkpoint was included for *technical*
reasons: certain old browsers (in combination with old screenreaders?)
would not distinguish between two adjacent links, even if separated by
one or more spaces. The original checkpoint calls for a *printable*
character, which  nowadays is ludicrous.

If it was not deprecated, even
  href="http://simple.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fly">fly</a>

which results in "Butter fly" would be in breach, as space is not a
printable character.

--
Patrick H. Lauke
http://redux.deviantart.com