Re: Java Applet in object element

Hi Jim,

There are many problems with applets in Web pages. The <object> tag works
correctly in IE on newer installations that do not have Microsoft's Java
virtual machine (MSJVM) installed. If the Microsoft virtual machine is
installed, it will always be invoked when launching an applet from a
correctly marked up <object> tag. This is the case no matter what other
virtual machines are plugged into the browser. The MSJVM uses Java version
1.13 and came embedded in IE until about a year ago.

I did some thorough testing of applets a couple of years ago and found that
there is no way to display an applet consistently across major browsers
using valid markup. The one exception might be if the applet is built using
Java version 1.13 or earlier, but then why use Java.

It seems odd to me that the Mozilla based browsers do not function
correctly. In my tests they seemed to work correctly.

Shane Anderson
WebAIM.org