From: w3c-wai-ig-request@w3.org [mailto:w3c-wai-ig-request@w3.org] On
Behalf Of Rebecca Cox
Sent: Tuesday, April 05, 2005 4:20 PM
To: w3c-wai-ig@w3.org
Subject: RE: Inline Style Sheet Question

> style sheets.  I have a data table that uses styles in the <table> and

> section 508?  Here is an example of my table:

Although all may be OK for 508, styles in style attributes are
considered less desirable than  inline style elements in the document,
because they completely fail to separate the styling from the content.
External style sheets allow for alternative style sheets, encourage a
consistent styling across the site and reduce bandwidth after the first
page for the site is loaded.

Unfortunately sometimes you need to use a few inline styles for DHTML -
eg to set an initial property that can then be reset using scripting.
This doesn't make pages unusable when scripting or stylesheets are
disabled if you are careful.