Re: additional label question

On Mon, 04 Apr 2005 01:50:39 +1000, John Foliot - WATS.ca <foliot@wats.ca>
wrote:

> Patrick wrote:
>> Yes, but it's a shame that they do not follow the
>> specifications (while
>> we're here discussing whether or not it's a hack to rely on situations
>> in which they do not honour other parts of the specification). Once
>> again, a chicken and egg problem...
>
> I agree... We have browsers that can go from "quirks mode" to "standards
> mode", why not screen readers and other AT?  I realize that this is, on
> this
> list anyway, a rhetorical question, but honestly, how do we get guys like
> Freedom Scientific to start looking at this?

Letting them know that Opera is ahead of them? (The 8.0 beta does some
speech CSS). Speakthis by fonix.com did too, but IMHO it had a completely
broken business model, of trying to get page developers to install it on
their pages...

You could also look at how Gnopernicus (or for that matter any of the free
console mode linux systems although I am not sure that, emacspeak aside,
they are connected to browsers taht give them enough hooks) handles HTML
browsers. In particular I guess it is worth looking at what it can get
 from Opera or Mozilla.

cheers

Chaals

--
Charles McCathieNevile                      Fundacion Sidar
charles@sidar.org   +61 409 134 136    http://www.sidar.org