From: "Phill Jenkins" <pjenkins@us.ibm.com>
To: <w3c-wai-ig@w3.org>
Sent: Thursday, March 04, 2004 9:46 AM
Subject: Re: New window inform user, before or after link?

>the truth today is that often, new windows are spawned without
foreknowledge
>If the author wants to open a new window, the author should signal this
in some

David, I agree that many of us want to be informed before a new window is
launched - but the author has already coded a target="_blank" informing
both the browser and the screen reader what will happen when the link is
selected.  Why tell the author to yet add more notification - why not just
have the browser and or screen reader have the option of informing the
user?  Such as Opera browser does today by allowing the user to turn off
spawning new windows.  My point is not to disagree with the requirement -
my point is to disagree with the author doing the extra work of adding the
before icon that all users will not be able to turn off if they need to.

Regards,
Phill Jenkins
IBM Research - Accessibility Center