Re: Abbreviating years?

At 18:56 2004-02-12, Juan Ulloa wrote:

>Hi all, again.
>
>Is the common abbreviation of cutting out the first 2 digits of the year
>an accessibility problem?
>
>2003    = '03  or 2004 = '04.
>
>Is the abbreviation tag useful for this purpose?  Or is the abbreviation
>so common that if used in context it makes as much sense to a visual user
>as to somebody accessing the website through a screen reader?

Actually, abbreviation of years doesn't make any sense to me at all. When
it's just two digits it's highly confusing (I can't immediately recognize
it as a year, it might be any number, or a month, or a day); when you use
an apostrophe you gain just one character, but still lose clarity.

Why not use the full year?

--
Marjolein Katsma
Spam Reporting Addresses: http://banspam.javawoman.com/report3.html