From: "P.H.Lauke" <P.H.Lauke@salford.ac.uk>
To: "david poehlman" <poehlman1@comcast.net>; <w3c-wai-ig@w3.org>
Sent: Wednesday, May 19, 2004 9:20 AM
Subject: RE: "Blind for a Day" - visibility: hidden vs none

> A person who uses the mouse and enlarges the screen might
> want to click this
> link but not using the tab key and not having the link
> visible till it is
> tabbed to and using scroll bars rather than mouseing over
> links till perhaps
> they see one that would be usefull would never encounter a
> link that was
> only visible if tabbed to or moused over.

Interestingly enough, as soon as I sent you my last email, I
sort of came up with a similar possible scenario myself. Thanks
for the clear explanation.

In that case I would suggest (IMHO, of course) that this particular
user may be best served by selecting the "accessible" (as much as I
hate the word) stylesheet which makes everything visible (and, in
addition, could expand acronyms/abbreviations and write out all
accesskey definitions via CSS :before and :after). Sure, in an
ideal world the default style of a site should already do this, but
this more often than not clashes with aesthetic sensibilities of
designers and/or clients...

Patrick H. Lauke
Webmaster / University of Salford
http://www.salford.ac.uk