Re: Browser statistics Re: fixed font size

Charles McCathieNevile wrote:
> I have noticed that many browsers identify themselves as IE (Opera does
> this by default, and many others make it easy to do so). Simple playing
> around suggests that this is to get around browser-sniffers that
> exclude other browsers for no terribly good reason.

Just wanted to make the point that although Opera does this by default,
even in its state it identifies itself as Opera if the detection routine
is thourough enough. This rules out most JS and simple software, but some
more advanced tools finds out about this double identity easily and reflect
their results thus. For example, my Opera 7.23 identified as Explorer;

  UAG = Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows NT 5.0) Opera 7.23 [en]

There is enough info there to find out what is really browsing your page,
but most scripts/functions that tries to work this out does it left to right
looking for the first instance of certain patters, missing the important
right-most info.

Anyways, just some added inflation.

Alexander
--