Re: Screen readers - usage stats?

On Fri, 16 Apr 2004, Ian Anderson wrote:

> > how do you handle screen readers such as EMACSpeak...???   or those
> that
> > just read the plain text from the screen (many older systems) these
> > require that the output be ONLY plain text.
>
> Sorry if this sounds abrupt, but what on earth are you talking about?

sorry if there is some confusion, you are taking personal some very
generic comments about coding to specific browsers.   I agree with your
comments that if coded to good clean html there should be no problems, now
how many sites are out there coded that way...(besides yours)

Bob

> Web pages are HTML. I am talking about HTML. These ATs take HTML and
> produce output - what is the problem you are identifying? Unless you
> are claiming there are cases of ATs that require plain text in order
> to function; in that case the web is broken to them.
>
> I must be misunderstanding you rather severely, because I don't see
> the relevance of what you have said here to the discussion.
>

> > but should some lose all????
>
> See above. Who loses all? it's just HTML fer crying out loud. These
> obscure ATs will deal with it in their own way. I can't know all the
> behaviours; all I can do is code to standards, test in the most common
> configurations, and hope the other cases can handle standard stuff. I
> am not going to tweak for obscure cases; and other people seem to be
> saying not to tweak for anything.
>

> > try using what I'm using at the moment, I'm running Red Hat Linux 9,
> with
> > Minicom connection to the internet and using PINE as my e-mail
> reader.
> >   how about visting your sites using LYNX...which is my most common
> access
>
> I test in Lynx too. The sites work well. What is your point?
>
> > for what it's worth I have broken the M$ habit and have been windoze
> free
> > for almost 5 years in EVERY way....and don't plan on changing just
> to use
> > the accessibility features that some are trying to force on us.
> > and believe me I am far far from unique.
>
> I don't give a monkey what you use. It's the web. Use what you want. I
> build sites with HTML and any device can access them to the best of
> its ability.
>
> > > You seem to be saying we should optimize for no screen reader over
> > > another but I can't see, for example, how that helps me choose
> between
> > > two valid, alternative ways of coding a navigation bar, each of
> which
> > > creates issues for someone. I want perfect for everyone, but
> sometimes
> > > there is no perfect. Then, I have to choose, and market share is
> one
> > > factor I look at in making that choice.
> >
> > Casscading Style Sheets!!!!!!!
>
> Did we slip in to some Zen koan mode here? Shall I spout random nouns
> at you in an effort to spontaneously induce enlightenment? But
> seriously, what has CSS got to do with issues arising from standard
> HTML structure. e.g. text inside link or outside link tag?
>
> Try again - you're obviously excited about something but I am not
> getting your point.

CONFIGURE YOUR E-MAIL TO SEND TEXT ONLY, see http://expita.com/nomime.html

safety deserve Neither liberty nor safety",    Benjamin Franklin
    NO HTML/PDF/RTF in e-mail                   accessys@smartnospam.net