RE: Screen readers - usage stats?

Hi Adam et al,

The only rigorous study of screen reader usage that I know of was performed
by the (US) Natl. Center for Health Statistics back in 1994-5.  It showed
roughly 50K users; this figure may have included screen magnifier users.
People thought this was too low a number back then, and it would certainly
be higher now.  But probably not even as much as 3 times higher.  This rough
estimate comes from a study we performed for Microsoft a few years ago on AT
vendors.  If it's 100K users (meaning people who actually use them every
day, not people who've ever had an AT evaluation), the usage rate for screen
readers would be about 10% of the *potential* users, which is sadly about
the usual rate for AT.

As far as market share, current estimates of JAWS range from 75% to 95% of
the market.

*****
Jim Tobias
Inclusive Technologies