Re: automated AAA services: views sought

In general anything that doesn't have valid code isn't WCAG double-A
conformant (let alone triple-A).

In particular, there are validity errors on the page
http://www.cianonline.org.uk/ - all related to wrongly encoding
ampersands (the '&' character) which means they are real errors.

There are a couple of things that don't strike me as meeting WCAG, on
top of this - there is no illustration on the page (checkpoint 14.3),
there is dark blue text on light blue (checkpoint 2.2), and arguably
their logo doesn't need to be a bitmapped image (checkpoint 3.1).

All told this isn't a massive and irredeemable accessibility failure,
but it would be nice if claims like this that are demonstrably false
were easily dealt with.

I don't see WAI having the resources to go chasing individual sites,
and I don't think WAI can demonstrate that it is impossible to get
accurate triple-A assessments using automatic tools. One could test a
number of tools to clarify what they can and can't do - this is exactly
the process that is being begun at the EuroAccessibility Consortium. I
suspect this will show that there isn't a tool available that can give
an accurate assessment completely automatically (which isn't the same
thing as saying one is impossible).

In the meantime I have Bcc'ed them on this message, and perhaps they
will be prepared to spend a few minutes discussing how to resolve the
accessibility problems, or the claim made.

Interestingly Bobby itself says the page has  one actual error, as well
as a number of user checks required (warning, long URI in pointy
brackets):
<http://bobby.watchfire.com/bobby/
bobbyServlet?URL=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.cianonline.org.uk%2F&output=Submit&gl=
wcag1-aaa&test=>

Although I think Bobby is wrong about the error it finds, as noted
above I think the user check on contrast (in particular for the
contrast on the logo) got an incorrect result - that is that they
disagreed with what I would have answered. Bobby also requires that you
use the abbr or acronym elements, which the page does not do.
(Interestingly, Bobby doesn't seem to provide any equivalent for WCAG
checkpoint 14.3, even as a user check).

Cheers

Chaals