Re: Call for feedback on accessible DHTML menus

Geoff Deering wrote:

> Yes, you are right.  As I just emailed Tom, I'm so used to seeing this type
> of implementation which doesn't work when scripts are turned on.  It's great
> to see implementations that give developers the choice to implement
> something like this and it still address accessibility and usability issues.

Looks like this worked itself out, but I wanted a chance to respond to
the original since I was out yesterday. The issue had been addressed
previously and was noted in the page.

The third paragraph in the page says:

"Note: The sub-menus are not available without JavaScript, but these are
supplemental navigation. The TexasOnline site has redundant links
available from each main section to every sub-section and is therefore
completely accessible. Please do not note this as an error in your
comments."

http://www.cookiecrook.com/bugtests/menus/menus.htm

However, due to some other feedback received offlist and on, I've
decided to scrap the keyboard access to the menus... While I believe it
greatly improved the experience sighted keyboard users have, it's become
obvious that accessing the menus with a screen reader has become much
more difficult.

This is dissappointing, because after all, that was the point of
rebuilding those menus.

Cheers,
James Craig

--