Re: place-holding characters in edit/text boxes

The best response I have got is "old screen readers and Netscape" -
from the times so long ago (6 years) when forms were new, non-standard,
and the little boxes were not clear to systems that tried to explain
the text on the screen.

In which case a space would probably not be the thing that triggered a
useful response.

I can't vouch for the accuracy of this already vague information, nor
am I equipped to test it, but maybe somebody can do better having this
much extra... Reading the archives of the WCAG group through 1998 might
also be enlightening.

cheers

Chaals