RE: Jakob Nielsen Column -- PDF: Unfit for Human Consumption

On Sat, 23 Aug 2003, Nick Kew wrote:

> On Sat, 23 Aug 2003, George Kerscher wrote:
> >
> > There are multiple issues with PDF that have been stated over and over
> > again. While I applaud the efforts to make PDF accessible, there are
> > problems that are extremely difficult to overcome.

I swore I wasn't going tto get drawn into this again

> (chop specific points)
>
> It seems to me that your points apply to HTML as much as to PDF, which
> would seem to be an argument in favour of it (since arguments against
> PDF as a Web format hinge on it presenting more problems than HTML).
>
> Are you saying it's inherently worse than HTML for blind users, even
> setting aside the additional cost of equipment capable of reading PDF?
> Or merely that it's often problematic in practice?
>
> My point concerned usability for sighted users!

PDF is not accessible for a broad range of people, again I emphsis this is
a WORLD Wide Web and just because folks in the more developed counties are
running the latest and greatest does not mean that is the case in the rest
of the world,  in many countries linking to the web is based on time, and
the longer your on the more it costs, and if you are on a dirty telephone
line at 2400baud you don't want pretty you want accurate and fast..LYNX
or PINE are the solutions of choice, and I have yet to see either of these
do anything with pdf except choke.  and if it is a doctor in remote
Nicaragua who needs some help with a diagnosis pdf isn't going to save a
life...!

PDF is for printers, leave it there

lots of other reasons but it is late and I am tired

Bob

safety deserve Neither liberty nor safety",    Benjamin Franklin
    NO HTML/PDF/RTF in e-mail                   accessys@smartnospam.net