Re: using a form field for terms & conditions

Lauke PH wrote:

> 1) obviously, screenreaders will announce that the user is currently
> in a form. The tc textarea will be announced as "Edit - Terms and Conditions".
> This can be slightly irritating. Moreover, the version of JAWS I used to test
> this (4.02) did not announce that it was in fact a read only edit box, so when
> entering the textarea, it will prompt the user to "type in text"...which obviously
> they can't. Not sure how other screenreaders handle this...

Does anyone else know if other screen readers notify a user that an edit
field is disabled or read-only? If not, this seems like a problem with
the readers, not the pages.

Just to clarify, I agree that the Terms content should be in a div, not
a textarea. I am just wondering about legitimate uses of disabled and
read-only form fields.

Thanks,
James Craig

--