RE: Guidance re Accesskeys

uhmmm... 'twas me.

Earlier last summer, the Canadian Government was suggesting the use of three
standardised AccessKeys across all Government of Canada web sites.  One key
in particular was conflicting with IBM HPR, but upon further research we
discovered that, especially with the customization of JAWs (including
Classic Laptop version) plus other keystroke combinations reserved in other
types of adaptive technology that there really were no available keystroke
combinations which were workable... even the three I thought we had happened
upon were ruled out by Jukka as not viable with non-North American
keyboards. (Jukka?)

At any rate, after researching the subject, a final recommendation was put
forward to eliminate the use of Accesskeys due to these conflicts (see:
http://www.cio-dpi.gc.ca/clf-upe/6/skip_e.asp)

It's really too bad, it would be extremely useful if there were even a few
"standardised" combinations, such as "return to Top" "go to navigation" etc.
However, while the Accesskey ideas is great, it's implementation appears to
be non-viable.

JF