Re: Arabic text

If, perchance, you have a Macintosh, you can add an arabic keyboard
option and use simpletext (OS 9) or TextEdit (OS X) or something
similar. Amaya does allow for editing arabic but it isn't perfect yet.

Arabic is one of the major world languages, and people use computers to
write it. You just need to get the right keyboard layouts, fonts, and
internationalised software. If my mail client and yours are smart
enough, the following should come out as arabic text:

السلام عليكم

(using OS X.2 I added arabic to the keyboards list in my preferences,
switched to it in the bundled client "Mail", and typed).

Note to self: remember to switch back <grin/>.

Normally a good alt text would be whatever is shown in the image, and
in accordance with checkpoint 3.1 you are only going to get to the
"barely minimal" level A if you continue with the technique. If this is
not something you expect to be used on the Web at large you might be
able to sustain an argument for using a transliteration, but I think
the best thing is to use proper text.

I have attached a sample of XHTML (in accordance with the W3C policy on
sending attachments to lists) that I wrote up in TextEdit - it was an
extremely easy thing to do. I presume this is not unique to Macintosh
systems, but it is what I know best.
cheers

Charles McCN

--