Re: User agent support of SUMMARY attribute in tables

Hi Dave:

I'll have to just say at this point I think we are talking passed each other.
What I said about 5.5 and what you say are not negations of each other.
At least I don't see how they are in opposition.
I don't know though what you mean by
"are we not told also..."
Does this mean you are negating what I said or saying, "Yes I agree but I would also add..."

I'll have to ask your indulgence because I have very technical notions from my computer science days and the logic course so I always carefully distinguish between:
1. If P, then Q.
2. P And Q, (both P and Q are true).
3. P. (P alone is true, ignoring all connections wit other statements)
4. P Or Q (either one is true or both)
5. Q is true (Q alone, ignoring connections to any other statements.
6. Not P (P is false ignoring connections to any other statements)
7. Not Q (Q is false, ignoring connections to any other statements)
and others.

I realize not everyone is that technical but I personally think it would help to reduce confusion and "talking passed each other" situations especially on "controversial" or, shall I say, strongly held view situations.
I do also realize this kind of technical analysis can not help in some situations and may even "cut too fine" to be useful to a discussion.

Again, speaking personally, I often find this kind of analysis clarifying and therefore quite useful but I think just because I like this is not to imply everyone should, I just find it useful.
So, in short, I am just trying to clarify how I think and why I might get confused and what I usually try to do to reduce my confusion.

Steve

>>> David Poehlman <poehlman1@comcast.net> 01/22/03 04:40PM >>>

I was pointing out the discouragement of the use of tables for lay out to
assist in forming a backdrop for the push over into someting like tha alt
tag senario.  Often, if you are comtemplating an alt tag for an image, you
decide based on evaluation that perhaps the image is not needed after all.
In the case of summary, this is a lay out table?  well, maybe I don't need a
table aafter all.  To sum up, the backdrop here is it is best not to use
tables for layout,  so when you use tables correctly, summary is
appropriate.