Re: tooltip onfocus

Yes, I appreciate problems like these, but consider that they are
browser failures. The User Agent guidelines
  a) specify that the alternative content must be available
  b) specify that all functionalities should be available via the
keyboard (among other methods)

so in my opinion pushing for conformance to UAAG, and making it easy to
upgrade browsers, is more effective than trying to create yet  another
standard that does the same thing but isn't implemented.

I don't think that raising a tooltip should always be the way the
information is provided, although it makes sense to allow this in
browsers. Which is why I would oppose the specific presentation as
tooltips, although agree that the functionality is important and
fundamental, and hope that browsers will soon get it right.

(SVG is a solution if you are desperate to ensure tooltips in
particular - unlike HTML it is a language designed to provide powerful
graphic control. SO I think it is equivalent to evangelising the use of
screwdrivers instead of pliers for getting screws out of wood).

cheers

Chaals

--
Charles McCathieNevile           charles@sidar.org