Re: PDFs and accessibility

Hi David,

I would agree with you there, even with the tags I have found that most
docs are not working out as well as they could. I would like to make the
second format as easy to read as possible-simple HTML so it can be read...I
guess this is the point of the exercise isn't it-to read what is there.

Do you happen to know the name of the html2ps tool?

Cheers and thanks for the feedback

Lisa

At 07:38 AM 1/17/2003 +0000, David Woolley wrote:

> > follow when converted into HTML by the Adobe conversion tools. Thus I am
> > looking at other options now...
>
>Going from PDF to HTML is not a sensible direction as PDF is more final
>form than HTML.  It will only work from an accessibility point of view
>if the PDF was tagged (and not just tagged by a machine).  It then
>becomes arguable as to whether it would not be better to use the
>latest Acrobat reader and skip a step.
>
>However, Word does not output structure information (or even hyperlinks)
>in its Posctscript, so you are not going to get good tagged PDF from
>Word.   You probably need to use RTF as the starting point, and may run
>into commercial restrictions on the use of its specification.  Also, this
>all depends on people using Word well - most people have a tag soup,
>WYSIWYG, way of working with Word, and do not use styles, tab round
>line ends, empty paragraph over page boundaries, etc.
>
>There is an html2ps tool (actually used to create the PDF of the HTML
>4 specification) that can convert the other way for well structured
>documents.

Lisa Snider
President
The Snider's Web
Dartmouth, Nova Scotia and Sackville, New Brunswick, Canada
Phone: (902) 488-9876
Fax: (902) 484-5694
Sackville, NB Office Phone: (506) 536-4992
E-mail: lsnider@thesnidersweb.com
Web Site: http://www.thesnidersweb.com

We provide professional web design, internet research and internet counselling.
NEW-WE NOW PROVIDE DOMAIN HOSTING

"We Untangle The Web For You"