Re: Automated Accessibility Options

On Mon, 13 Jan 2003, Charles McCathieNevile wrote:

> Hi Nick,
>
> you should probably look at CC/PP [1] as similar work

Are you sure about that?  My concern is that RDF introduces a whole
new level of complexity, that doesn't really seem justified in
such a simple negotiation.  Unless perhaps we reduce it in the
manner of dc: in HTML <meta> elements?

One of the objectives of mod_accessibility is to be a low-overhead
solution: it is by nature *much* faster and less obtrusive than betsie.
HTTP headers are well-suited to a lean-and-mean system; RDF less so.

>	 (it is about
> providing profiles of user agents to make sure they get sent
> appropriate content, which I think is pretty much what you are talking
> about).

Not entirely.  The idea is not that the browser has a preferred version
(though it may do within different renditions), but that the user will
wish to switch frequently between different versions.

>    As far as I know there are no existing vocabularies which deal
> with user requirements other than basic hardware profiles, but the
> framework for them should work, and it would be, in my opinion, an
> important implementation demonstration.

Sure, the HTTP headers for this could be expressed as an RDF vocabulary.

Still thinking about your post, and i reserve the right to change my
mind about any of the above.  Thanks for the thoughts:-)

--
Nick Kew