Re: Accessibility as a legal requirement in the UK/Europe

At 13:01 +0000 UTC, on 1/7/03, Julian Voelcker wrote:

[...]

> I believe that there are proposals going through Europe relating to
> accessibility and websites and also that the UK Government is wanting
> government related sites to be fully accessible by a set date (2006?),
> However this is all based on odd snippets/rumours of info that I have
> picked up rather than hard facts or authoritative speculation.
>
> Please could you recommend resources that I can keep an eye on to
> ensure that I am up to date with what is happening.

A quick search at the EU site, at
<http://europa.eu.int/geninfo/query_en.htm>, turned up a page that may be
somewhat useful.
<http://europa.eu.int/information_society/topics/citizens/accessibility/web/wai_2002/cec_com_web_wai_2001/index_en.htm>.

Doesn't really seem to speak of any (proposed) law though. 'Just' promoton of
the W3C's WAI. A better targeted search may turn up more though (especially
if you're willing to dig through PDF and Word documents... ;)).

HTH

--
Sander Tekelenburg, <http://www.euronet.nl/~tekelenb/>