Re: accessify.com's review of RNIB relaunch

On 25 Jun, Lauke   PH wrote:

>>   It would be pointless to argue such details as why he believes a h2
>>   without a h1 to be "structurally incorrect"
>
> So why isn't it incorrect ? If the number of the heading denotes a sense
> of heirarchy, how can there be an h2 without an h1 ? Maybe i'm missing
> something ?

  But DOES it denote a sense of hierarchy, or a sense of importance ?
  How would you, for instance, mark up a document that has two headers,
  both of equal importance, and both more important than every other
  header ?

  Two <h1> ? That would violate the hiearchial model. Two <h2> and no
  <h1> ? That would violate it as well. Invent a new <h1> ? I don't find
  *that* a good solution.

  These questions are among those brought with us to XHTML 2.0 and the
  "future". Some versions of HTML require that headers be hierarchial,
  but none of those are W3C versions (afaik) - in HTML 4.01 and XHTML so
  far there is no grammatical or semantical requirement that h2 follows
  h1 and soforth.

  It might not even be a *good* idea - there ought to be nothing wrong
  with saying "This header is the most important one in the document,
  but this next header is JUST as important ... "

  Bottom line: don't stare yourself blind at those tantalizing little
  numbers after the <H ...>. It's quite ok to see headers as strictly
  hierarchial - and perhaps they should be - but there is no grammatical
  or semantical requirement that they should always *be* that way.

 [*]
  Yes, the WCAG 1.0 suggest that they should be treated that way.

   [+46] 0708 557 905