RE: Longdesc attribute for images

Tina,

I think you may have slightly misunderstood the original email
from this thread. The problem is that, in theory, browsers should
give users a simple, easy, automatic way of accessing the page
referenced by the longdesc...without requiring them to jump through
hoops (as you say in your following email, having to go right-click
on an image - how do you do that on a text-only browser, for
instance -, selecting properties, etc). Browsers should have some
mechanism of offering the user a quick navigation widget to the
longdesc. At the moment, unless page authors include the [D] link
(which is, and always has been, a bit of a kludge) or use some
DOM javascript to automatically generate [D] links, the longdescs are
essentially useless.

Patrick
Patrick H. Lauke
Webmaster / University of Salford