MathSpeak is bringing spoken math to your web

I haven't tested this, but it looks interesting.  Forwarded from the AFB
Solutions Forum and the Daisy Technical Developments mailing lists:

>From: "George Kerscher" <kerscher@montana.com>
>To: <technical-developments@daisy.org>
>Subject: MathSpeak is bringing spoken math to your web
>Date: Fri, 13 Jun 2003 07:22:27 -0600
>
>Hello Tech Dev,
>
>Thought this would be of interest.
>
>Best
>George
>

>> Education, SPED, Math and Science Editors
>> For Immediate Release
>>
>> Cambridge, MA -- MathSpeak is bringing spoken math to your web
>> browser,
>now.
>>
>> MathSpeak(tm),  the new HTML creation mechanism in MathEQ 4.0
>> Expression
>Editor,
>> provides web pages with mathematical and scientific notation to be
>> parsed by computer screen-to-voice readers for visually-impaired and
>> blind internet users.
>>
>> MathSpeak relies on currently available and common technology used
>> today by visually-impaired and blind web users.  A variety of web
>> development organizations, such as Mozilla, W3, and the MathML
>> community, have plans to provide an advanced support for special
>> screen readers for mathematical symbols and expressions using MathML.
>
>> The goal of MathSpeak is to work with current technologies, today, so
>> that visually-impaired and blind users may glean information from
>> current webpages for science and mathematics, although less advanced
>> than these ambitious plans.
>>
>> Theorist Interactive, LLC, of Cambridge,  developers of the LiveMath
>> and
>MathEQ
>> computer algebra software line, introduced this tool with the release
>> of MathEQ 4.0 for Windows and Macintosh computers.
>>
>> MathSpeak is a set of special HTML tags that all speech-to-text screen
>
>> readers can access on a webpage, and correctly read the expression as
>> spoken speech.  Although webpage authors can manually create the such
>> tags for their math expressions, the task can be
>cumbersome.
>> MathEQ will automatically create the correct MathSpeak tags when used
>> to create either images or MathML-based math expressions for webpages.
>>
>> Previously, when a visually-impaired or blind internet user surfed to
>> a webpage with mathematical formulas presented on it, the standard
>> screen reading tools, of which the most popular is JAWS, could not
>> interpret the mathematical formulas into to synthesized speech, either
>
>> because the formulas are images on the HTML page, or, if using the new
>
>> MathML markup language, their screen reader is not adapted to
>> converting MathML into spoken language.
>>
>> Now, if this example webpage is created with the additional MathSpeak
>> tags, then the screen readers will correctly convert the mathematical
>> formulas and expressions on the page to
>synthesized speech.
>>

>> For more information on MathSpeak, please contact:
>>
>> Lisa Brightman
> [...]
Braille is the solution to the digital divide.
Lloyd Rasmussen, Senior Staff Engineer
National Library Service f/t Blind and Physically Handicapped
Library of Congress    (202) 707-0535   <http://www.loc.gov/nls/>
HOME:  <http://lras.home.sprynet.com>
The opinions expressed here are my own and do not necessarily represent
those of NLS.