Re: JavaScript and Accessibility

On Thu, 12 Jun 2003, Matthew Smith wrote:

> > 2) Why do some people want to use a no-JavaScript browser like Lynx?

one reason is slow dirty lines such as very rural areas of this country
and many parts of the third world... (this IS A WORLD WIDE web)

> Just to play Devil's Advocate, why would we want a browser that *does*
> support JavaScript/ECMA Script?  To cite some common uses of client-side
> scripting:
>
> 1) Opening pop-up windows (not Accessible - don't use pop-up windows)
> 2) Image rollovers (not Accessible - generally only used as "eye candy")
> 3) Form submission (won't work with JS turned off)
> 4) Form validation (should be done server-side: not secure because it
> can be turned off)
> 5) Dynamic generation of content (should be done server side with Perl,
> PHP, ASP or whatever; will not work if scripting is turned off)
> 6) "Back" buttons - see recent discussions on this list regarding this.

> Lastly, do not underestimate Lynx; it is a very, very powerful tool, not
> just something for "no frills" Web browsing.  (I use it, for instance,

not to mention much of the "no frills" parts automatically
"eliminate" popup, popunder, and all sorts of annoying stuff that is very
distracting on many web sites

Bob

safety deserve Neither liberty nor safety",    Benjamin Franklin
    NO HTML/PDF/RTF in e-mail                   accessys@smartnospam.net