Re: place-holding characters in edit/text boxes

Hi

On Fri 23-May-2003 at 05:10:12PM +1000, Sandra Vassallo wrote:

> I'm interested in people's experience/opinion re checkpoint 10.4
>
>   'Until user agents handle empty controls correctly, include
>   default, place-holding characters in edit boxes and text areas."
>
> Is this still an issue for any screen readers (assuming the label
> element is used)?

This is one of the very few cases where I actually have a use for
Javascript, it can be used so that non-js browsers get the standard
place holder text and people with js enabled browsers have the
placeholder text vanish when the form gets focus:

  <label for="q">Search</label>

  <input
    type="text"
    size="12"
    name="q"
    id="q"
    title="Enter your search term(s) here [Accesskey 4]."
    onblur="if(this.value=='')this.value='Keyword(s)';"
    onfocus="if(this.value=='Keyword(s)')this.value='';"
    value="Keyword(s)"
    accesskey="4"
  />

  <input
    type="submit"
    value="Go"
    title="Submit your search term(s) to the search engine."
  />

  You can see this here: http://mkdoc.com/

Chris

--