RE: 508, Accessibility & Obstacles

William R Williams wrote:
> my job has
> been nothing short of a nightmare since June 2001, when the law took
> effect.

I feel your pain. I've inherited a couple of large static HTML sites where
the project is done, approved, budget spent, and now has to have 508
compliance added retro after the fact.

> is the URL below accessible?
>
> http://wwwnotes.fs.fed.us:81/r5/regional/r5_rac_work.nsf

Not in the least. When I look at the above in Lynx, here is what I get:

FRAME: LeftNav
FRAME: Content

(that's it! both LeftNav and Content are completely blank!)

> http://www.fs.fed.us/r5/eldorado/
> http://www.fs.fed.us/r5/tahoe/
> http://www.fs.fed.us/r5/lospadres/

I only spent a few moments - but these aren't too bad - I've seen worse. At
least there's a 'Skip Navigation' link. Looks like the minimum of effort has
been made to make these pages at least somewhat accessible.

Hang in there Bill - don't beat yourself up too bad. I would expect the Feds
to be last to follow their own rules anyway ;)

Geoff