Re: alt text

It is my understanding that Google does index ALT tags and use them for
ranking, although this is difficult to prove because Google, quite rightly,
does not publish their search and index methods. I would assume that on a
practical level their importance is quite low when it comes to page ranking
compared to that of page content.

I've heard somewhere that Google also indexes the Title tag.

There is an article here:
http://ist.uwaterloo.ca/istweb/searcheng.html
that very briefly mentions the ALT tag.

Regards