Re: New tool on Accessify - Acronym Generator

Ian Lloyd (Accessify.com) wrote:

> The list of acronyms that the tool converts is not
> exhaustive - so if you want more added, just let me
> know!

Nice tool, Ian. I had a few points of discussion that I thought might be
of interest to the group, so I cc'ed WAI-IG.

First of all, with the recent popularity of Web Semantics, I've seen
opinions against an overuse of the ACRONYM element. Most instances where
it is used should actually be an ABBR. Of course, Windows IE doesn't
show the title tooltip on ABBR, so I use acronym a lot more than I
should, too. Even so, maybe there could be seperate word lists for
acronyms and abbreviations with the option to use both elements (for the
semantic purists) or to use ACRONYM for everything. Any comments?

Also, PHP /used/ to stand for "Personal Home Pages" but now it stands
for "PHP Hypertext Preprocessor" which brings up the question of
abbreviatations within abbreviations: Should it be "Personal Home Page
Hypertext Preprocessor"? Not sure. Probably...

Maybe it should be "PHP (Personal Home Page) Hypertext Preprocessor".

Cheers,
James Craig