RE: Respect - was Re: The two models of accessibility

From the alertbox article: "Linearizing a 2-D layout is simply not as usable as having a good designer create a targeted 1-D layout."

While this is certainly true for "traditional" table-based layouts, I would posit that - with the use of DIVs and CSS - designers (can and do) create code for webpages in a 1-D linear flow, and only afterwards - through positioning of the individual DIVs - turn it into a 2-D representation.
I've given up on Nielsen lately...imho he always walks between stating the blindingly (no pun intended) obvious and being slightly out of step with specific technical developments. Then again, I might just be biased.

Patrick
________________________________
Patrick H. Lauke
WWW Editor
External Relations Division
Faraday House
University of Salford
Greater Manchester
M5 4WT

Tel: +44 (0) 161 295 4779

e-mail: webmaster@salford.ac.uk
www.salford.ac.uk

A GREATER MANCHESTER UNIVERSITY

-----Original Message-----
From: phoenixl [mailto:phoenixl@sonic.net]
Sent: 07 April 2003 17:39
To: w3c-wai-ig@w3.org
Subject: RE: Respect - was Re: The two models of accessibility

Hi,

Here's an announcement about a meeting at this week's CHI conference on
usability and the W3C.

Scott

From: Sharon Laskowski <sharon.laskowski@NIST.GOV>
Subject:      Informal SIG at CHI03 on W3C UIG Planning, Tuesday at 1pm

If you are attending CHI 03, you are invited to join us at the

Informal SIG for
W3C Usability Interest Group (UIG) Planning

Tuesday, April 8 at 1 PM

Organizers: Steven Pemberton and Sharon Laskowski

On November 4-5, 2002 in collaboration with the World Wide Web Consortium
(W3C), the National Institute of Standards and Technology (NIST) hosted a
workshop to develop a plan for Web usability efforts.  The major outcome of
this workshop was a draft charter for submission to the W3C for the formation
of a Usability Interest Group.  This group is still in the planning stage.

The mission of the Usability Interest Group (UIG) will be to work within the
context of the W3C to improve the Web through better usability. The UIG will
support the Web community by making the Web more usable. It will:

- Identify and encourage the adoption of Web usability best practice
- Provide a resource for Web usability information
- Support the W3C in integrating usability into its processes and products
- Be an advocate for users of the Web (end users, developers, designers)
- Take a leadership role in recommending improvements to Web technology to
enhance usability

You can read more about this at http://www.nist.gov/uig_w3c

Please join us at our informal SIG to find out more and to discuss plans for
continuing the development of the UIG.

Thank you.