Re: Access Keys - your collective help is urgently requested!

Well, if you want accessible software you might be using the stuff being
produced in Beijing for one of Sun's accessibility projects (I forget if it
is Mozilla or GNOME or something else, but I think one of those two).

Accesskeys are something that should be localised with a site. They are
useful when they are memorable...

In any event, it is important that browsers are designed to override the
default accesskey when that is not available, and provide something else. And
therefore the browser needs to inform the user what the accesskeys are (since
only it knows what it did...). iCab does this already, using something that
works like the following CSS2 rule (if I have the CSS rule correct):

  *[accesskey]:after { content: '<'attr(accesskey)'>' }
  a[accesskey]>img:after { content: '' }

(for anything that has an accesskey attribute, that doesn't have an img in
it, add <x> afterwards, where x is the value of the accesskey attribute).

Cheers

Chaals

On Fri, 13 Sep 2002, Ineke van der Maat wrote:

>Hello Bob,
>
>You wrote:
>And I wonder how "accessible" the Chinese will keep thier websites.
>>

>When people on this list are prepared to learn Chinese, they can teach
>Chinese developpers to build accessible sites.
>Or may be thought this too simply..?
>
>Zaijian
>Ineke

SWAD-E http://www.w3.org/2001/sw/Europe ------------ WAI http://www.w3.org/WAI
 21 Mitchell street, FOOTSCRAY Vic 3011, Australia  fax(fr): +33 4 92 38 78 22