RE: pt vs px for font sizes.

On Tue, 10 Sep 2002, Shashank Tripathi wrote:

>You could consider using percentages. E.g.,

Yep.

Below, I meant "normal text" - the general stuff that makes up a page, which
would be read through. I agree that highlighting particular things is
valuable, and small print is so-called because people are used to the (in
theory) administrative detail they don't need to read being smaller.

But a lot of sites use something like small, or 70%, as a default size for
ordinary paragraph text. So I have to increase it again so I can read it.

Cheers

Chaals

>    | Oh, and please don't make normal text bigger or smaller
>    | than the user's default. Although some people can't
>    | change their default size, it is frustrating for people
>    | who have set a size that they need.)
>

>I am not sure if I would completely agree with this stance though.
>Sizing text to convey certain meanings or to control prominence is a
>necessary part of presentation and font-sizes play an important role in
>achieving that goal. For e.g., in a message board on a website, the text
>that people post could be normal sized but the time of posting or the
>number of posts by a certain individual (which are not an equally
>significant part of the overall information) could be a relatively
>smaller size.
>
>While it is frustrating for people to see fonts that are incongruent to
>their 'ordinary' sizes, it is equally if not more frustrating to scour
>for relevant info from a page that contains all the text in one
>same-sized blob. I would rather see the usual, focal topic of the
>interface in a 'normal' font, but would prefer all the ancillary info to
>be slightly smaller...not to mention that certain sections can be
>highlighted for prominence (e.g., section titles).
>
>One could say "Use the standard H2 for the titles" -- but perhaps this
>is a subjective issue where the designer's judgment comes into play and
>one may decide that 18px of Arial looks better than whatever "default"
>H2 the user has on his/her machine (e.g., an 18px Verdana).
>
>Shanx
>

>Shashank Tripathi
>www.shanx.com

SWAD-E http://www.w3.org/2001/sw/Europe ------------ WAI http://www.w3.org/WAI
 21 Mitchell street, FOOTSCRAY Vic 3011, Australia  fax(fr): +33 4 92 38 78 22