RE: do vector graphics enhance our concept of self?

I don't have time tonight to write the example, but the information in the
SVG spec should be a combination of using opacity for the image with a
clipped image

This is sort of the idea, and about the size of your resulting SVG, but
probably has bugs in it <grin/>

<?xml version="1.0" standalone="no"?>
<!DOCTYPE svg PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD SVG 20010904//EN"
  "http://www.w3.org/TR/2001/REC-SVG-20010904/DTD/svg10.dtd">
<svg width="12cm" height="3.5cm" viewBox="0 0 1200 350"
     xmlns="http://www.w3.org/2000/svg">
  <desc>Example opacity01 - opacity property</desc>

  <rect x="1" y="1" width="1198" height="348" opacity="0" />
  <g> <clippath d="[[here you need a path around the bit of the image that
you want - this can be generated quickly by tracing out the image, and using
that path]]">
    <image src="yourface.jpg">
  </g>
</svg>