Re: compatibility

On Tue, Jul 16, 2002 at 03:01:31PM -0400, John Foliot - bytown internet wrote:

> That's the beauty of positioning in CSS.  How about I drop that <div> down
> near the "Bottom" of my page (structurally speaking), after all that other,
> always repeating stuff like copyright notices, and privacy notices, and even

  Good. Then, when using a Speech or Braille browser, you will STILL get
  the message "Please upgrade your browser to a graphical one" EVERY
  single time you access a document.

  You say the users you know have gotten used to listening to information
  that really is redundant - is accessibility REALLY a matter of what
  some users have 'gotten used to' ?

> I'm not trying to tick off users here, but a gentle hint never hurt anybody.
> Language choice is important - I DO NOT propose a return to some of the
> language we first saw when newbies started creating framed web sites.  How

  But IS it really a 'gentle hint', when you - as a normal, if blind,
  user gets to hear "optimized for graphical browsers" every single time
  they hit a page ? Or for those who CANNOT upgrade - because of hardware,
  software, or administrative issues - who still have to hear that nagging
  about DOING it anyway ?

  It isn't rude, it isn't unpleasant, but it's bloody *nagging* still. After
  the first 15-20 pages I'd be tempted to yell "Yes, I got it allready!"

  Yes, other information gets repetetive as well - but that information
  simply isn't important or even worth the repeated listening.

> twist ourselves into pretzels for Netscape 4.x?  Or do you like to still use
> tables for layout?  What is so wrong with a little bit of persuasion and

  I never used tables for layout, and I don't think anyone should. This
  is a case of 'peaceful degradation'; send to the browser standard code
  and allow the browser to deal with it. Hide CSS from NS 4 by the media
  trick. Don't twist yourself, us, or your users into knots by telling
  them again and again that they need to do something they cannot do.

> Fianlly, I still don't get how a scheme like this insults or detracts from a
> web site, or affects it's usability/accessibility in any way.  Am I really
> missing something here?

  Possibly. Nag, nag, nag, nag, nag. I don't believe this will be beneficial
  to anyone, unless you can target those messages *explicitly* at the browsers
  that NEED to be upgraded. Lynx definetly doesn't need an upgrade.

--
 - Tina H.