Re: OT: what do people on this list do?

At 11:31 AM 2002-07-10, Mary Howe wrote:

>I know this is off-topic, but I'm not sure where else to find this information.

Although there is work in the EO Working Group on building business cases
for accessibility, it is not that much targeted to the individual independent
contractor.

IMHO business models for "how can I DO it" are not off-topic for this community.

>I've been lurking on the list for about a month, and have found it quite useful.  I'm interested in who is on this list  What are your jobs?  Do you make a living in some way related to web accessibility?
>
>I am an independent instructional designer and developer.  I've been developing computer-based training and web-based training for several years, almost always for corporations, who are generally oblivious to accessibility issues, and only compliant when it's pointed out to them that they have to be.

Educate yourself to the usability curb cut effects of the effort that goes into
a universally-designed piece of courseware.  Use the BART case history as an
analogy.  This is good salesmanship practice.  Read "Getting Past No" by Ury.

 Site of the Week: Bay Area Rapid Transit (BART)
 http://www.designinteract.com/sow_d/081301/

If industrial students learn faster and better, their employers will realize
more enterprise value from their investment in training.

Learn both the regulatory and legal obligations of your customers, and how to
roll accessibility checks into an over usable-product development process.  But
you have to be a good salesperson, as well; couch the message in terms of the
advantages to your customer.  Understand and mention why they do want to buy
into better practices.

Even 'though you may think this is off-topic, it is a recurring topic on this
list.  See the historical example at:

 http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/w3c-wai-ig/2001OctDec/0492.html

>I'm trying to figure out a way to do more work that is helpful to people rather than to corporations.  Usability and accessibility issues interest me very much, and I'd like to shift my work more in that direction.

Start with "What Color is your Parachute?"  Along the way, consider the following:

Take the WebAIM, HWG or other course to better educate yourself.  Learn about the UPA and consider what it would take to get yourself to the point where you actually
qualify as a usability professional.