Re: HandiCapZero

On Wednesday, July 3, 2002, 3:50:13 PM, David Sloan wrote:
> The World Cup in Korea/Japan has now finished, but looking at the home page
> of the official World Cup web site today I noticed a link to 'Access for
> the Visually Impaired'.

Hah, what a joke. You can only get to that link after choosing your language,
and just look at the pick language page in Lynx - <http://tinyurl.com/jwm>.

Even after that, the link is nowhere near the top of the page.

> This takes users to a new site run by an organisation called
> HandicapZero which appears to allow access to the World Cup site via some
> transformation software named 'Confort de Lecture' which I guess presents
> content in 'accessible' form.

Dear me, they really need to learn what accessibility is. So many products and
companies claiming to understand it, and then coming up with things like this -
which has just been designed for people who need large/high-contrast text.

But the "accessible" version is only linked to via a hidden image's alt text,
so basically it isn't accessible to anyone much.

Once registering, you get extremely limited information (news, results and
rankings only). Javascript links, pop-up windows and frames everywhere.

--
Tom Gilder
http://tom.me.uk/