fwd: advanced html list: ad blocking soft ware questions:

----- Original Message -----
From: "Automatic digest processor" <LISTSERV@BAMA.UA.EDU>
Sent: Sunday, June 17, 2001 12:00 AM

Date:    Sat, 16 Jun 2001 17:01:37 -0500
From:    Richard Fouchaux <rfouchaux@edu.yorku.ca>
Subject: QUESTION: Ad-blocking software

I've been quite impressed with McAfee.com's online "clinic" and
ActiveShield, so I took the opportunity to upgrade and try some other of
their services. Among them is "Privacy Service," which offers several
things, including "ad-blocking," which I decided to give a whirl.

Soon after installing it, but long enough afterwards that I didn't
immediately make the connection, I visited a site I'm working on. To my
utter horror the company name & logo, an animated GIF, navigation bar,
and
everything else in the table containing them were missing.  They were
even
missing from underlying pages upon which the GIF is not an animation.
When
the client assured me it still looked fine from their office I relaxed
somewhat and began seeking an explanation on my network, in my browser
cache, in my computer hardware, and finally 12 hours later realized what
had happened.  I was quite miffed, as the animated GIF has no link to
anywhere and the other pages "banners" all point back to the home page.

I'm awaiting a response from McAfee specific to their software, but I'm
curious to know...
1) if others have experienced this,
2) if other ad-blocking software causes such results, and most
importantly,
3) is there anything I can put in the code or a script I can write to
prevent it?

Best regards,
Richard Fouchaux