RE: What would a screen reader make of this?

Yes, I agree. While most screen reader programs have (free, session-time limited) versions you can use for testing, it's a steep learning curve. (And the reboot time to contuinue doesn't help if you can't afford the expense of the full package.)

A determined developer can maybe learn one - but testing with all (even the most-used) is just not feasible, unless you're a large company with a testlab and a dedicated person (wo)manning the lab.

Of course that makes a list such as this valuable - but then the question becomes: how many developers know about already, and how many would come here to ask questions?

At 20:39 2001-06-13 -0400, Jim Tobias wrote:
>Hi All,
>
>Marjolein's queston reminds me of a good idea a corporate
>type once asked me.  Why isn't there a real-time screen reader
>emulator site?  That is, a site like Bobby wherein one could
>enter a URI and hear how it would sound through one or more screen
>readers with typical settings.  The learning curve of screen
>readers is holding back accessible web design.
>
>Jim Tobias

Marjolein Katsma
HomeSite Help - http://hshelp.com/
Bookstore for Webmasters - http://hshelp.com/bookstore/bookstore.html