Re: New Topic

At 16:20 +0200 6/6/01, deminizer@mail.casi.sti.nasa.gov wrote:
>      I would like some opinions / ideas about how to skip repetitve
>      links -- which are server-side includes.
>
>      We have a framed web site.  At the bottom of every page in the
>      "main content" frame, we are using server side includes to include
>      a file of text links for navigational purposes.  We are using the
>      server-side includes to make maintenance more feasible.
>
>      Since the links are at the bottom, we can't put a link to skip over
>      them.  Without having to change the layout of the page -- and put
>      the links at the top, does anyone have an idea of how we can make
>      it easy for a disabled person using a screen reader -- to skip
>      these links?
>
>      Regards,
>      David Eminizer
>      NASA Center for AeroSpace Information

David,

I agree with Kynn's comments on Jim Thatcher's site, which has
navigation in the final column of a layout table:

>Jim's site itself is an excellent example of this; while he does have
>a "skip to main content" link, it doesn't actually skip over any
>navigation links, just a few headers that define what the site is
>about.  (In actuality, I don't think he even needs that link, which
>only skips two lines content.)
>
>Note, however, that a strict reading of 508 regulations could lead
>you to assume that Jim's site is deficient (or would be, if it were a
>government site); the 508 rule on "skip links" is:
>
>       (o) A method shall be provided that permits users to skip
>           repetitive navigation links.
>
>...and since he doesn't allow for skipping of navigation links (just
>of two headings) maybe he's in violation?
>
>I think not, though, since it says "a method shall be provided" and
>I feel that the layout of his page _is_ that method.

By putting the links at the end of the page rather than at the
beginning, you have arguably provided a method for skipping them.
Depending on the page itself, perhaps it would be useful to include a
link just before the bottom navigation allowing visually impaired
users to "skip bottom navigation - return to top of page", but that
depends on the page itself and how you expect visitors to use it.
(Actually, if you're talking about http://www.sti.nasa.gov/, I see
that you've already got a "return to top of page" link right before
the bottom nav.) If your pages contain "last updated" and "contact"
information below the bottom navigation menu, you would probably want
to provide users with a method for skipping the navigation and
jumping straight to the "last updated" line. A skip-nav link right
before the SSI would do it.

By the way, I don't see why the fact that these links are SSIs should
make any difference to the user. It all comes out as HTML on the
user's end anyway.

--
Jo Miller
jo@bendingline.com