RE: Accessibility and mailto links

As a webmaster of several sites, I've observed that when you give
users a choice of selecting between a mailto email link and a form,
you will get much greater response rate from the form.  At one website,
which
averaged 3,000 visitors daily, our "About this site" page
had a mailto email link for the webmaster.  We averaged about 2 - 3 emails
daily.

When we changed the page so the visitors had the option of filling out
a form, the webmaster email volume increased to 10 - 15 daily.  Your
mileage,
of course, may vary.

This becomes important if you plan to have an accessibility page on your
web site.  An accessibility page should give users an opportunity to
report any accessibility problems that they may have using the website, so
that feedback method should be as accessible as possible.

Personally I dislike and never use the mailto email link. First, it is a
hassle to configure
one's browser to send email.  Secondly, public computers at a school or
library are often
disabled so that sending email this way is not permitted (I used to work
within the Arlington, VA library system and we did disable this).  And
finally, someone browsing the web from work may not want to send mail and
be indentified by their work email address.

However, I agree with Miraz that users should be offered a choice - either
the mailto email
link or the form.

Joy Gatewood
VRI/ERIM