Re: Label-for inadequate (was RE: 10.4 Re: Checkpoints 10.4 and 10.5

The label redirects focus to the control. It was a design decision, and
until then there was no reason why a label could not have said that it
applied to two or more elements (except that it is slightly messy to work out
the syntax).

There is a different semantic attached to headers.

Oh, and label just makes an association between some existing content and a
control explicit. There may be cases where the same thing is needed without
adding content - this is why there is a title attribute.

Charles McCN

On Fri, 1 Jun 2001, Phill Jenkins wrote:

  Charles mentioned :
  > ... each label has to point to a single field (and there is some
  > behaviour defined that means this makes sense).

  But what is that behavior?  If HEADERS can do it, why can't LABEL FOR
  attribute do it?  I 'm not sure I even can imagine a problem with the
  contents of the LABEL element containing more than one INPUT element. Am I
  missing something? Might there even be a spec [1] editing problem, meaning
  that it should have said that each control can only have one unique id, not
  one label?

  > this shouldn't work, except that it makes the tabindex messy.

  I thought TABINDEX just stopped at each control, not at each label, so it
  would always stop at each text entry field regardless of how many labels
  each field had or didn't have.

  [1] HTML 4.01 Label http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/interact/forms.html#h-17.9

  Regards,
  Phill Jenkins,
  IBM Research Division - Accessibility Center
  11501 Burnet Rd,  Austin TX  78758    http://www.ibm.com/able