Re: Clarification sought on checkpoint 10.1

Hello,

I think others have clarified the intent of the second part of 10.1.  There
have also been a few suggestions on the list about how to warn users if a
new window will pop up or other ways to give the user control.

Here are two other neat ideas that I've seen (content solutions rather than
user agent):

1. On a personal Web site, I saw a short javascript that will let the use
decide if windows are to open in a new window or not.  The user selects a
checkbox.  This obviously only works if scripts are loaded.  Note that the
default is not to open a new window.  I think this is really elegant.
Here's the script:
<script language="Javascript">
// thanks to blogger
function targetLinks(boNew)
{
if (boNew)      where = "_blank";
else where = "_self";
for (var i=0; i<=(document.links.length-1); i++)
{
document.links[i].target = where;
}
}
//--></script>

One of the first things on the page is a checkbox:
<input type="checkbox" name="targetnew" onclick="targetLinks(this.checked)">

2. Optavia [1] let's the user know when they will go to a different site by
using an image with alt-text within the link.  You could do something
similar, but say "will open in new window." Actually, Optavia does this but
can't find an instance of it on their site (on a really quick skim of the
site).

Hope this helps,
--wendy

[1] http://www.optavia.com/rnd.htm